Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hurricane Katrina Anniversary

Eight years ago today Hurricane Katrina rolled through the Gulf Coast. Everyone I know from the Mississippi Coast has a Katrina story.  My family and I fled to Georgia, where we were under a tornado warning most of the time because of the feeder bands.  I knew our house wouldn't flood.  If it did, Katrina would have been the least of our worries and someone should have been building an ark.  We got home to discover that every tree in our yard had fallen, miraculously, around the house, not on it.  After a couple weeks of clean-up things were back to normal, with considerably less shade.

Some of you have more dramatic stories.  Some of you lost things or loved ones.  Take the time to share your stories in the comments section.  I want to hear them.  I'm sure other people do, too.

2 comments:

  1. Here's the link to my Katrina story.
    http://ladyinthemirror84.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-i-never-expected-my-katrina-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember our Lifeway family coming over to my house in Diamondhead after Katrina. I don't remember everyone who came, but it was nice as a family to get together and see how everyone was. Also, I remember the day some of us went over to New Orleans to the Seminary to help out at the store there. It was interesting to see the water lines on the walls of the Seminary and to realize how much of it had taken in water. We had a good day helping to remove books and then going to Target and out to dinner at Olive Garden. I also appreciated how corporate Lifeway got us started again on a slower note and allowed us a year to rebuild our customers and our store. It was nice to have the earlier closings and to readjust to being open for our community.

    ReplyDelete