Thursday, August 22, 2013

Things I Like About the New 52, part 2

Yesterday I rambled on about Aquaman (and could've said more).  Today we're moving on.  More things I like about the New 52!

Expanding Gotham's history

No one knows a city like Batman knows Gotham.  Or so he thought.  Turns out, there was a secret society known as the Court of Owls who had worked their way into the fabric of the city and the social consciousness almost completely unnoticed.  I don't want to spoil any of the story, but just to show how much they infiltrated things, here's Bruce being thrown out of a window from high above the city.

"Owl" be seeing you, Bruce!

Scott Snyder has definitely asserted himself (in my opinion) as one of the greatest writers to add to the Batman mythos.  Greg Capullo's pencils definitely haven't hurt, either.  Capullo has been around for a while and I believe that he's at his prime drawing Batman.

I actually saw this on a tie the other day.  I would rock that tie.
There were some cool moments in the story, like where Batman is trapped in a labyrinth (sans David Bowie) and you actually have to turn the comic sideways and upside-down to read it as he gets more and more lost.  All in all, an excellent story that adds to the legend and also provides the possibility for a change of the status quo in the life of Bruce Wayne.

The Phantom Stranger

The Phantom Stranger is one of my favorite characters.  He just looks so darn cool (especially when drawn by Jim Aparo back in the day).

I need a cape.

Pre-New 52, the Phantom Stranger was a stranger who would show up when needed to do supernatural things.  No one knew where he came from or just what his powers were.  In fact, in Secret Origins #10 from 1987 there are four possible origins for the Stranger presented, but it is never specified which one is true, which adds to the mystery.  New 52 Stranger has a definite origin.  I don't necessarily like the fact that we know where he came from, but we're focusing on the positives here, not the negatives.

Basically (and trying to remain spoiler free), the Stranger is following the commands of The Voice, which usually involve him betraying someone, which makes sense considering his origin.  Eventually, he will be free from his curse and can move on to the afterlife or nothingness or wherever.  So far, he has played a pretty big role in the New 52 universe (or the DCnU, as it's called these days), leading several people to their dooms which will eventually lead them to becoming important DC characters.  He has had run-ins with some of my favorite characters, including the Spectre and the Question.

I don't really have anything witty to say.  This is just awesome.

 To recap: while I don't really like the fact that we know his origin, the Phantom Stranger is an interesting character who looks way cool.  His book is one of my favorites, especially since J. M. DeMatteis took over writing duties from Dan Didio.

Martian Manhunter

I'm not really gonna say a lot about this.  Just look at him.


 

Ethan Van Sciver drawing Batman

This is something that I've been wanting to see for a while.  Ethan Van Sciver, who forever left his mark on comics with Green Lantern: Rebirth in 2005, is one of the only artists today, in my opinion, carrying on the Neal Adams tradition of a dark, scary, manly Batman.

The cover to Legends of the Dark Knight #1.  My copy is autographed.  Be jealous.


His Bruce Wayne is excellent.  Manly is really the only word I can think of to describe his look.  I just feel like Bruce shaves with broken glass, uses Old Spice, and probably taught James Bond a thing or two about women.  Also, look at this page layout.  Bruce's girlfriend is a pianist and Ethan flawlessly brings that into the design of the page.

Even without the words, you can tell what's happening on these pages.

Ethan's Mad Hatter looks like a creeper, which fits perfectly with Gregg Hurwitz's story.

I feel like I need to take a shower after looking at him.

Not only is he an excellent artist, but Ethan is one of the best Facebook friends you can have.  He's hilarious, posts his artwork, and is a conservative!

I hope some of the things I have pointed out have made you maybe want to read comics if you never have before, or stop hating on the New 52 if you're a hater.  If not, then I'll just have to give some more reasons later!

No comments:

Post a Comment